On last night’s episode of Veronica Mars–still on! At least for now–Paul Rudd played Desmond Fellows, a washed-up ’90s rocker who’s boozing his way through the campus-concert circuit. Because Mars is a show seemingly made by and for music nerds, we’re guessing the character was based on someone famous; the only problem is that we can’t figure out just who it’s supposed to be. Among the character’s tell-tale characteristics:
- Played in the fictional mid-’90s power-pop duo My Pretty Pony, a one-hit wonder band that sounded a lot like the Rembrandts.
- Still depressed about his partner’s alcohol-induced death.
- Picks up women online.
- Drinks a lot. Also likes the pills.
- Looks rumpled–but because it’s Paul Rudd, he’s adorably rumpled.
- Coasts by on back-catalog songs and backing tracks without playing anything new.
- Doesn’t like to talk about the Beatles’ influence on his music.
Oh, who are we kidding? Those are the defining characteristic of just about every musician to ever get a clip on 120 Minutes during its Clinton-era heyday. We’re going to go with an amalgamation of Courtney Love, Matthew Sweet and this guy we once saw perform with Of Montreal.
Veronica Mars [TheCW.com]