Yes, it’s true: Jay Sean’s Lil Wayne-assisted R & B track “Down” will be your No. 1 single beginning tomorrow, evicting the Black Eyed Peas from their 26-week run at the top of the Hot 100 and answering the question plaguing many will.i.am-weary chart-watchers for so, so long. The question, of course, is this: Can you hum a few bars of the British crooner’s debut single? Sure, it may be the most-played-song on radio, but that doesn’t necessarily mean “widespread recognition” in 2009′s crazy pop-music marketplace. A video of the track, and a few fun facts about the singer with which you can impress your friends at parties, after the jump!
I love that the beat of the track kind of screams “This Song Is By A British Singer.” A few other things to note about Jay Sean:
• His real name is Kamaljit Singh Jhooti.
• He is 28 years old, and started writing rhymes when he was 11.
• He has two studio albums and a live record out already in the U.K.
• His third album, All Or Nothing, will serve as his U.S. debut when it comes out on Lil Wayne’s Cash Money Records in late November.
• Yes, it’s going to have a Drake cameo.
• Also, songs “about tough relationships,” according to Billboard.
• He’ll be sharing a bill with the surviving members of TLC at Justin Timberlake’s Shriners benefit concert next week.
• There are claims that people “jokingly” refer to him as “the South Asian Ne-Yo.” While a Google search doesn’t quite bear that out, it did unearth a clip of him singing “So Sick”:
Jay Sean Sends Peas Packing From Hot 100 Penthouse [Billboard]
Jay Sean [Official site]
Jay Sean Feat Lil Wayne – Down / NEW [Dailymotion]