If you spin around a globe and place your finger on any country at random, chances are they rocked out to Lady Gaga this year. Gaga’s sophomore album The Fame Monster sold 5.8 million copies in 2010, making it the year’s best-selling album in the world. We’re not surprised in the least that the pop star’s club-centric music, Euro-style beats and eccentric personality does exceptionally well overseas. See the rest of the Top 10 below.
Keep in mind that the following info comes from tough-to-confirm data, but according to German website Media Traffic’s United World Chart, the ten best-selling albums in the world in 2010 were:
1. Lady Gaga, The Fame Monster – 5.8 million
2. Eminem, Recovery – 5.7 million
3. Justin Bieber, My World + My World 2.0 – 5.6 million
4. Lady Antebellum, Need You Now – 3.6 million
5. Taylor Swift, Speak Now – 3.5 million
6. Susan Boyle, The Gift - 3 million
7. The Black Eyed Peas, The E.N.D. – 3 million
8. Michael Buble, Crazy Love – 3 million
9. Sade, Solider Of Love – 2.3 million
10. Alicia Keys, The Element Of Freedom – 2.3 million
“THE FAME MONSTER was named the best-selling album of 2010!” tweeted Gaga (who is also one of Forbes‘ highest-earning performers in the last year) upon hearing the news. “I’m so excited for the future, believe + work hard, you will achieve your dreams.”
As far as just the U.S. is concerned, Gaga’s Fame Monster was the fifth best-selling album on our shores (last year it ranked #4), while Eminem’s Recovery came in at #1 with 3.2 million copies sold.